I have been doing this recipe for awhile now and it’s always a big hit. I first started doing it for my employees in 1995 in my pre-Blu Jam days. Guests and employees loved it and it has evolved over the years. Every Thanksgiving did back then, I was baking Turkeys for employees and guests who didn’t have anywhere to go… free of charge
CHEF KAMIL’S THANKSGIVING BREAD STUFFING RECIPE
- 1 loaf of sour dough bread-cut up in 1 inch pc. ( it can be an old bread)
- 5 medium size carrots…cut into small pc.
- 3 stalks of celery, cut into small pc.
- 3 medium size onions, chopped small
- 3 whole shallots, chopped small
- 1 cup of raisins…(8oz)
- 1 cup of walnuts…(8oz)
- 10 pc of button mushrooms chopped
- 1 lb. of unsalted butter but have another one ready
- 4 cups of chicken or veggie stock…(32oz)…put more if you need to
- 1/4 of cup fresh sage, finely minced
- 1/4 of cup of fresh thyme, finely minced
In a large heavy bottom pot melt the butter and when its hot add onions, carrots, celery and shallots, sauté till onions are nice and brown, make sure the butter is not burning, keep mixing!
Add raisins, currants, walnuts, mushrooms, fresh herbs and stock, bring to boil, simmer till vegetables are soft, add more stock or butter if you need to!
Meanwhile put diced bread in a large mixing bowl and pour everything out of the pot with vegetables and stock over the bread and mix well till the bread is nice a soaked with all the “goodness”, if you need more liquid, melt my favorite ingredient ” BUTTER” (LOL!) and add it to the bread mixture! Spread it on a baking sheet, taste and season it with salt if needed!
Sprinkle more fresh herbs if needed and bake at 350F for 20 minutes, check and make sure bread is not burning! Take out and serve or reserve and serve later or next day that is what I do, the flavors all “get” together and dance, and you will too!
PS: This recipe feeds 10-14 guests unless you are in my house— then it is 4-6. 🙂